יום ראשון, 19 במרץ 2017

Letter To Thomas L. Friedman - September 2011

Letter To Thomas L. Friedman, Author of "That Used To Be Us"

At the outset, let me make a short introduction. I am a lawyer in Israel and ,inter alia, am also the vice president of the Jerusalem Great Synagogue (which I hope you will visit on one of your next trips to this country).

I come to the USA frequently, I have respect to its culture, integrity, leadership and people, although I do not always agree with its administration's policies (not always do I agree with the policies of my government - neither do you, I know, I do follow your articles and books), but this is the great advantage of being a citizen of and resident in a democracy.

After reading your latest book, That Used To Be Us, I have decided to take the liberty and write to you, out of respect to your vast store of knowledge, understanding and depth of your writing.

I am writing to you, as I earnestly believe that if you resolve to take action in the hereinafter matter, you would be adhered.

I have resolved to write to you as in a number of places in your book you make reference to the proportion between budgets allocated to universities - you point to the budget of California - 8%; and to prisons - 11%.

I had the unfortunate experience of visiting a client who is in pre-trial custody in California. He is charged with financial misconduct and, I assume, because he is a flight risk, he was not allowed bail until recently. He was moved from one detention center to another and until 2 days ago he was jailed for 13 months, all before trial, thus he is assumed innocent.

Naturally, I do understand the police's need to keep an individual in custody although he is not guilty. flight risks, severely effecting investigations, etc. But as long as he is innocent, the restrictions on his liberty should be confined to the utmost necessities.





The USA is fighting for liberty, democracy and human rights all over the world. American servicemen and servicewomen sacrificed their lives around the globe so other countries will sanctify human rights. Forgive me, Mr. Friedman, the USA forgot its own back yard. And as The Leader of the free world, the USA must serve as an example to others. It embarrassingly does not.

I notice, white crime suspects in detention centers - all before trial - are restricted humanely. They have restricted access to phone, they are to share cells with murder suspects or rape suspects, who rule the cells and the white collar suspect cannot complain, as he is endangering his life if he does, and many a times he is removed to solitary confinement. The inmate can have a shower once every three days, he is to be dressed in the detention center's uniform and the worst of it all, the physical conditions in many of the detention centers are appalling.

Now, if such a man is found not guilty at the end of a trial, he had suffered human indignities to the extreme, without cause. To be honest, listening to the descriptions of the conditions and the environments of the detentions centers I have visited [in California] I was thinking to myself, I would have admitted to the murder of Abraham Lincoln, just to move to a normal prison.

Such atmospheres are dangerous to a democracy. People who cannot challenge such conditions might admit to crimes they did not commit. May I remind you that in democracies, if someone signs a contract under duress he has the right to cancel the agreement. I do not know a more severe duress then this detention center.

There is a reason why someone's liberty is denied before trail. Such denial should be done in dignity and should be restricted. A detainee should not be denied access to anything that does not compromise the real reason for his detention. For example, if he is allowed certain amount of calls a week, he should be allowed unrestricted calls (in any event, all his calls are recorded). He should be in a cell with windows that bring in lights of days, not a minor window. He should be able to shower any time he wants, not once every two or three days. He should be allowed to have his family bring in food, In other words, he should be treated as an innocent detainee, not a convicted criminal.

The detention centers are a great failure in US dignified democracy [as is handcuffing a 85 years old man when he is taken to custody].

Now, this is not a matter for the hard working dedicated wardens and policemen in the detention center [whose courtesy, I have experienced, and was so impressed with]. This is a matter of policy from above. The rules have to be changed. The rules are that a man is innocent until he is found guilty. The rules are that a man cannot be punished until he is found guilty.

America, the leader of democracy, America, who lounged war against
human rights violation in other countries, is acting in this issue like a third world regime.

I am not an American, but I respect the USA. My son and his friends study about the democracy in the USA. I and they, look up to America. Alas, in that respect, "That is us". The "ugly us". "The failure of democratic us". In a previous book you wrote - The World Is Flat - you have explained the ability of shifting work from the USA to other countries [emphasizing India and China]. No, the US human rights is not to be compared to any of these countries. However the humiliations and human restrictions suffered – ‘irrelevantly’ so - by inmates in detention centers in the USA, brings America one step closer to them, instead of bringing them one step closer to America.

As a proud American, as one of the world's leading publicists, I invite you to consider challenging this very black spot in US democracy and call for a change.

What do I as an Israeli, care? America and its values are as important to me as they are to an American.

sincerely yours,

Zalli Jaffe



אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה